Pest Prevention Tips
When considering pest control solutions, often the first thing business and home owners think of is a pest control service. But did you know that you can also take an active role in pest control measures for your home or workplace? Pests and rodents aren’t simply a nuisance – they can severely affect your health and the health of your family or employees. For this reason, bug, insect and general pest prevention is critical in protecting homes, businesses, and any other place where human beings live, work or play from a pest infestation.
When you are planning on getting pest control services, remember these general tips to help ensure that you are maximizing your pest control measures and preventing household pests and rodents from entering your home:
- Seal cracks and holes on the outside of the home including entry points for utilities and pipes.
- Keep tree branches and shrubbery well trimmed and away from the house.
- Keep basements, attics, and crawl spaces well ventilated and dry.
- Store garbage in sealed containers and dispose of it regularly.
- Repair fascia and rotted roof shingles; some insects are drawn to deteriorating wood.
- Replace weather-stripping and repair loose mortar around basement foundation and windows.
- Store fire wood at least 20 feet away from the house and five inches off the ground.
- Call a qualified pest professional for additional advice and treatment if necessary.